Monday, June 20, 2011

Quick Reviews - Our System

As we experiment with wine, I have developed a system to help me keep my thoughts organized. As we share our journey, I want to share this, so you can follow our quick reviews of some of the wines we try.
I've chosen to use the following simple categories to discuss wine:
  • Quality
  • Descriptor
  • Nose
  • Flavors
  • Body

Quality: Stolen from George Orwell, I use the Double Plus Good system:
++ for excellent wines, + for good wines, / for acceptable wines, - for bad, -- for undrinkable, but since we are kind-hearted folk, you probably won’t hear much on the last two unless there is a story to go along with it.

Descriptor: This clever idea is based off a wonderful NYC wine shop, Best Cellars. We too feel that most wines can be broken down into some broad categories:
      • Crisp
      • Fruity
      • Sweet
      • Smooth
      • Robust
      • Spicy
      • Funky
      • Bubbly

Notes & Flavor: Nothing revolutionary here, just our interpretation of the scents and flavors of the wine. This info is probably most important for those trying to enjoying wine.

Body: Light, Medium. or Full, answering the question, "how long do the flavors linger on the tongue or hold up to other strong flavors?"


When I take time to consider what I am drinking, there usually is more to say, but who wants to write an essay when there is a glass of wine to be enjoyed? 

No comments:

Post a Comment