Monday, June 27, 2011

Bluegrass Brewing Co. (Louisville, KY)

On a recent trip to Louisville, we found ourselves with a day to fill. Since we were staying downtown, we decided to explore. From the NuLu district with its antique shops, to the 4th Steet entertainment district, we spent hours walking under the hot 90+ degree sun. Needless to say, by lunchtime we had worked up a powerful thirst. Skipping the typical chain restaurants on 4th Street, we found ourselves descending into the cool gloom of the Bluegrass Brewing Co. on 3rd and Main (one of three locations in the City).
BBC proved to be a nice find. A little off the beaten path, the bar was fairly quiet on this weekend day. Their beer is brewed on site, and we could spy the occasional tour of the brewing room through the window behind the bar. Tina nursed their Pale Ale, while I made due with their Nutty Brown and their Kolsch, since they were out of the Bourbon Barrel Stout. We enjoyed our drinks and a light lunch, and took some extra time there just to sit and chat.
Of course, part of me can never stop working, so I noted that a good craft brew can be every bit as complex as a good wine. While I have never heard terrior discussed with hops, if anything the brew master's hand is even more obvious. I’ve never really looked into it until now, but apparently there is even a tasting wheel out there for beer. Since I don’t limit myself to wine, I feel compelled to share my beer experiences with you, so expect more on this matter from this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment