Monday, November 21, 2011

Washington D.C. Restaurants and Museums (cont.)

And now, the stunning conclusion for our 3-part series on our trip to Washington, D.C.!
Sunday ended up being another early morning. We woke well before our planned brunch with the foodie cousin who’d recommended Casa Oaxaca, and ventured into Georgetown to enjoy the morning sun. The fall colors on the tree-lined streets made for a gorgeous walk, highlighting the historic buildings and artfully restored canal. 
 

 




The sun glistened on the river, as we made our way to Blue Duck Tavern for our brunch.

We joined our friends for brunch, and waited for a few minutes for our table to open up. The dining room was quiet, and our waiters were quick and attentive. We chatted for a while, and on their recommendation, ordered some Virginian wines, on the assurance that it was some of the best in the region. The food was seemingly simple fare, but created with unique twists that showed real skill. The wine proved to be perfect for the early meal, and the company made the time fly by, even though we lingered over our meal. And for a special treat, we ordered some dessert--a dutch apple pie large enough to serve four (yes an entire pie), crafted in the front window of the restaurant so that we watched it being prepared as we waited for our table. We had it served with ice cream, of course.

Soon, it was time for everyone to part. Tina left for New York; I’d be staying an extra night for work obligations the next day. Since I had the evening to myself, I wandered the neighborhood around Dupont Circle. I passed by Kramer’s Books and Cafe, but decided to press on, despite the allure of sipping wine will perusing a book store. I love the idea, but I knew that I would end up with a few books to take home, and I didn’t really have space in my bags for that sort of souvenir. Instead, I wandered down further afield and ended up at Veritas Wine Bar. I pulled up a seat at the half empty bar, and order up a glass of Shiraz and a meat plate. Sitting at the bar, watching football on the TV and listening to classic rock on the loudspeakers, I was content. But I wasn’t full, so I ordered a glass of Zinfandel, and a cheese plate. Of course, it was a bachelor’s night out, so I chose the stinkiest cheeses I could get off the menu. There was no way even the strongest of wines could hold up to those cheeses. Yet, the ambiance of the bar, and a casual evening, more than made up for my imperfect pairing.

In all, it was a wonderful weekend. We got to enjoy a bit of our nation’s history, set in the beautiful fall atmosphere of an architecturally beautiful city. We enjoyed good food and drink, good friends, and had a chance to relax before the holidays 

2 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds glorious! Seems you managed to integrate so many wonderful things into the short trip. Makes me see my "hometown" in a different light. Makes me really hungry, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, and glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete